ITHAKA Hiring Associate Counsel
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
ITHAKA is seeking an Associate Counsel for its New York or Ann Arbor office. Please read below. Good luck!
At ITHAKA, we think nothing is better than knowing we are having a positive impact on the world. We impact the lives of millions of people and thousands of institutions every day both in ground-breaking ways and in small ways that mean a lot.
We care deeply about our mission. We work with leaders in the global higher education community to advance and preserve knowledge and to improve teaching and learning through the use of digital technologies. We are passionate about the value of education and are driven to deploy technologies to make our universities, colleges, and high schools better, more affordable, and more effective, and to reach beyond these traditional walls to support learners everywhere.
In two decades, we have launched some of the most transformative and widely used services in higher education: JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R. Our 300+ employees work closely with our user communities, day in and day out, to build and continuously improve upon these services, and to identify new opportunities to expand access to knowledge and learning. ITHAKA is headquartered in New York, New York with additional offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan and Princeton, New Jersey and provides legal oversight and services for our affiliate, Artstor, also located in New York, New York.
Mission and Funding
We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization, but our status is a reflection of our mission, not our funding model. Our work across these services is highly valued in the global higher education community, and we cover our costs by collecting fees in exchange for the access, preservation, and research and consulting services we provide. That exerts a real discipline on our operations in that we must continually adapt to the needs of our audiences to be worthy of their support. Thousands of higher education and related institutions around the world are ITHAKA’s primary financial supporters; their JSTOR participation fees provide 88% of ITHAKA’s revenue. Our 99% renewal rate for JSTOR generates stable recurring income, alleviating the dependency on fundraising that many not-for-profits experience. Because the organizations share our commitment to our mission, we have the financial resources necessary to maintain a great work environment that encourages innovation and excellence.
ITHAKA seeks an experienced, energetic, detail-oriented, and versatile technology-oriented lawyer with expertise in licensing and the law of data privacy, copyright, Internet, and general corporate law and/or the law of tax-exempt organizations to work with the Deputy General Counsel and other members of the Legal Unit at ITHAKA.
The Associate will report directly to the Deputy General Counsel of ITHAKA. This person also will support the work of ITHAKA products and services such as JSTOR, Ithaka S+R, Portico and the products and services of ITHAKA’s affiliates, Artstor and Ithaka International, LLC.
Our organization and this role will provide you with an opportunity few other companies can offer including:
- An opportunity to enhance global teaching and learning by facilitating access to important content;
- Enabling the global higher education community to take advantage of new technologies to enhance scholarship;
- A “front row seat” to evolving issues in intellectual property law and the use of technology in education;
- A collegial, team-oriented work environment at an impactful, globally-oriented organization.
The Associate will have the support of the ITHAKA Legal Team (at present, a five-member team consisting of two paralegals, a Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel, and the General Counsel) and can be located primarily at either ITHAKA’s New York or Ann Arbor, Michigan office.
This is an opportunity for an experienced Associate with the drive, passion, and imagination to help colleagues build and enable access to uniquely inspiring products on one of the world’s leading research and learning platforms.
Serve as ITHAKA’s principle privacy manager, including:
Maintaining, updating, and auditing the goals, policies, and procedures of ITHAKA’s privacy programs in accordance with applicable data privacy laws;
Monitoring developments in international data privacy law, updating policies accordingly;
Working with ITHAKA’s Information Technology Unit and other stakeholders to design and manage necessary tools and processes;
Planning and directing internal privacy training programs and activities;
Evaluating data-related incidents and guiding their resolution consistent with applicable law and best business practices;
Managing consistent negotiation of data protection terms for commercial agreements and for internal clients;
Managing EU next-generation Safe Harbor and Privacy Shield certification process;
Providing legal support to internal units, including Human Resources, Information Technology, and Marketing regarding privacy, and providing legal counsel and oversight for policy related forms and agreements;
Assist with managing outside counsel for privacy as necessary with the understanding that in-house expertise provided by the Associate will ensure reduced outside counsel costs for privacy and related matters.
Advise ITHAKA’s Marketing and Communications unit on compliance with applicable domestic and international laws, regulations and best practices relating to advertising and marketing activities including CANSPAM and CASL compliance.
Provide the services described above for Artstor.
- Ensure compliance with a wide range of applicable laws, regulations, and ITHAKA’s own high standards for quality and integrity;
- Take an active role in the maintenance, communication and enforcement of policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective contract and business processes, and to reduce the organization’s legal and business risks;
- Maintain expertise and provide guidance on standards for accessibility in connection with serving the scholarly community and provide guidance to ITHAKA and Artstor staff regarding compliance requirements.
Product Development Support
As ITHAKA’s focus on technology-enabled products increases, the Associate Counsel will assist with establishing and maintaining a partnership between Legal and Product to provide legal input and direction throughout the product development lifecycle. This includes providing legal support for Labs, app and platform development. This work will necessitate a deep understanding of the product offerings and will entail advising on data privacy, open source licensing, and all other relevant legal issues that may arise in product development.
- Develop and contribute to the management policies and programs in the areas of copyright and piracy as well as coordinate with others inside the organization to implement and maintain those policies.
- Maintain awareness of piracy developments within the scholarly content environment and initiatives to counter them.
- As needed, lead or work with internal, cross-functional teams to develop and monitor ITHAKA’s anti-piracy measures and communicate abuse situations to appropriate ITHAKA staff.
Open Source Software Usage
- Develop and maintain expertise in license terms for open source software.
- Work with the Technology units of ITHAKA and Artstor to help track usage of open source software in projects.
- Provide guidance to ITHAKA and Artstor staff regarding compliance requirements for the use of open source software.
Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft, review, and negotiate licensing, collaboration, and service agreements with parties in the U.S. and other countries;
- Guide internal clients on compliance with general contract terms. Provide legal support and advice for resolution of day-to-day matters related to contractual agreements, including requests to interpret or modify contract provisions;
- Review and analyze issues related to the organization’s licensing, end-user agreements, provision of services, and use of third party content. Ensure that necessary legal protections are contained in the organization's agreements, including applicable regulatory requirements, and that agreements appropriately address stakeholder needs.
Other Activities as Requested
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of four years prior hands-on experience with a major law firm or in-house firm, and experience in intellectual property and privacy law;
- CIPP/US Certification preferred;
- Depth of expertise, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and sound judgment with the ability and interest in thinking creatively and strategically;
- Strong background in Internet technologies and the surrounding legal and policy environments regarding digital content;
- Experience with anti-piracy initiatives;
- Ability to interface with, and gain the respect of, stakeholders at all levels and functions of the organization as well as external organizations;
- Some travel may be required;
- An interest in the nonprofit sector is strongly preferred.
Work for us
Come join our team of talented and dedicated people with great ideas who want to make the world a smarter place. Individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package which includes:
- Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
- Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
- Employer contributed retirement and much, much more
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements at https://rew22.ultipro.com/ITH1000/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=682
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.